What was suppose to be a great vacation-it was until your jewelry came up missing-will only be discussed in the context of the loss of something special.
It’s becoming more common for jewelry items to come up missing, twice as much for that matter. It’s important to cover your valuables with jewelry insurance as mentioned in another Get Smart Insurance article about jewelry protection. As the saying goes, “an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.” So, let’s prevent theft, or make it less likely you become a victim by looking to the experts for prevention advise.
Here are some great suggestions from a nation leading jewelry company that’s dedicated to jewelry for the last 100yrs(!):
- Document: As you’re packing, take a photo of the pieces you’re taking with you. If you need to file a police report for any reason, this proof of ownership will be very helpful.
- Carry It: Never put jewelry in a checked bag. Wear it or stow it in your carry-on bag and keep that bag in sight at all times.
- Don’t Post It: Avoid being an easy target. Don’t share photos of your jewelry or where you are staying on social media.
- Wear Wisely: Avoid wearing jewelry while swimming, especially in cold water where finger sizes can temporarily shrink.
- Tuck Away: Never leave jewelry out in the open. Use the safe in your room or hotel vault.
- Conceal Don’t Reveal: Tuck necklaces inside your shirt, turn your engagement ring to the inside of your hand and cover any bracelets or watches with a sleeve when in dangerous areas.
- Button Up: If you’re packing earrings, fasten them to an extra button to avoid them being separated or misplaced.
- Suck It Up: Thread necklaces through a paper straw. This will prevent them from being easily misplaced or lost, with the added benefit of avoiding a tangled mess.
Please practice the above, have safe travels, and contact GET SMART Insurance for jewelry coverage.